Just a few words before sharing this experience of mine with..........
Da Vinci Code is a book I enjoyed thoroughly...Leave alone all those Rumours, it’s a great work of fiction and the suspense has been maintained very well.
It was as usually a sunny day around mid-march when I suddenly woke up from my nap in front of the book hearing some song from TV. Yes...you guessed it right. Me in front of books mean its study leave and am home. My uncle had given me strict time tables and routines to be followed during those days (which I never followed), He used to say that one should study at least 8 hrs/day. He wanted me to score distinction in every semester (which I never got).So, that day too after advising me a lot, he went to office and me and ma grandmother were home.
(Readers please note that my parents are at Mumbai and I stay with my uncle and grandmother in Cochin)
I just checked what the time was. It was 10 minutes past 2 and grandma was watching her favorite Tamil serial. It was a HARTHAL (a kind of BANDH) at Kerala that day (it’s like any other day 4 us-comes once in every week!!).So Bus and other transport vehicles were not allowed to run till 6 PM in the eve. I just checked which text book was in front of me. It was ECT (Electric Circuit Theory) full of findings by Norton’s, Ohm’s and all other stuffffffie's. Life seemed horrible for me. These semester exams come twice every year and to get a pass mark in all these subjects (Totally I wrote around 59 in 4 yrs : P) was really tough for an average student like me.
It was just then that I saw grandma walking towards her bed room. It’s time for her usual nap@noon.I just was wondering when the phone bell rang.
It was Varun, One of My best friends at college time.
Varun:"Dei, What are you doing??"
Me:” As usual, wondering when I would pass all these subjects and become an engineer."
Varun: "Hmmm. I think leisure is an integral part in every one's life. What about a movie today evening?"
Me:” Nice idea da.But I don't think i will be able to come. Uncle may come home any time. If I come he will feel I am not at all giving any value to his words. So.......................................By the way, which movie are you planning to go??"
Varun:"DA VINCI CODE"
I was just silent for a minute when I heard this. I remembered seeing an ad of the movie in the newspaper the last week. Now the battle began. As for everyone, one part of my mind was saying to sit and study while the other one was saying to go for the movie. I have often wondered why I am unable to listen to the better part, but that time too it was the other part (the bad one) which won the battle and I decided that iam gonna go for the movie at any cost.
The incidents that follow have even made me feel I am a great manager. Because lots and lots of planning was done by me and a master plan was developed. It was like this-I would tell my uncle in case I see him that I am going back to hostel (After all the exams are just 3 days away. anyway I have to go back, so the earlier the better :)).After that I would go with varun to the theater, watch the movie and take the bus at 9 PM and reach my hostel. So all would be well, I will see the movie, uncle would not feel bad and I can also go back to my hostel.HA HA HAAA......I laughed in my mind...how well I have planned. False-proof it is and no 1 will ever come to know about anything.
Now I quickly went to my room and started packing up my books and dress. This was a very interesting task for me because you come to know at that time, what all books are there with you. I felt that Time moved very slowly compared to the other days. It was just 3 PM then. I went back for a small nap again (not to bet...but in front of my ECT book).It was like DUNLOP for me (AARAAM KEE NEEND APNAAYIYE)...It was around 4 when I again woke up hearing grandma murmuring something. She moved towards the kitchen and asked me the usual question "What do you want? Tea or Coffee??”And I said the same answer which I always said:” Anything which u feels easy to make”. I kept looking into the clock wondering who made an hour to be consisting of 60 minutes.30 would have been better, I thought.
It was around 4.45 when I heard footsteps outside and door bell ringing.
"Must be the servant. Go open the door"-Grandma yelled from kitchen. She was preparing some snacks for me with tea.
I was eagerly waiting for something like this from her so that I can get away from the book with very very big things and circuits. I jumped out from my place and opened the door to see none other than my UNCLE.
"So, how’s your studies going?" he asked.
"It’s. It’s fine mama”. I somehow managed.
"Did you study for 8 hours till now??"It was the next question.
"No. But I think I must have reached 6.Just 2 more naa.i will manage.” I said.
"Who??You??6 hrs??Don’t tell me. I am seeing not seeing you for the first time”. He told this and went to his room and I followed him like an obedient boy.
"By the way mama. I wanted to tell you that I am going back to my hostel today. Some of my friends are there who have better 'knowledge’ in these subjects. So they will teach me.” I somehow managed.
Uncle: "today? But today is a Harthal.No bus today. How can you go??"
Me: "That will run from 6 mama. Just 1 more hour to go. I can reach my hostel by 8, have food and start studying."
Uncle (after a deep thought):"Hmm...Okay. But I wonder if you are going to study or enjoy with friends."
Me:” What mama U won’t believe me ever? Let me pack my things."
I told this and ran back to my room to just ensure all was well. It was 5 and varun would see me at the theatre at 6 as per our plans. I had a bath and got ready and sat for tea at dining room when my uncle too came there
"Your excitement and eagerness this extent tells me there is something fishy. You are going to your Hostel only, I hope."
"Mamaaa...."I just stopped there and somehow finished with the tea and snacks.
"Okay then.mama, grandma...iam leaving. I will call once I reach there.Bye."I ran to the lift after telling this. My brain was full of confusions if a show of the movie would be there or not, If show is there will we get tickets or not and all that stuff. I walked till Maharaja's ground where varun was eagerly waiting for me. He told me that traffic is smooth now since it’s about to reach the time limit of HARTHAL.We quickly rode to SRIDHAR where the movie was being played. The queue was not that big and at last, smiles blossomed in our face when we got the two balcony tickets. I had been waiting to see this movie for long now and it was as a dream comes true.
We browsed through all the rows and found a quite comfortable place in the middle where there were not much people sitting and where we could get a view of the movie as well as the girls who are gonna come for the movie. I thought why ideas like these didn't come to my mind earlier.mm..Everything has its own time, I said in my mind.
Lights went off and trailer of upcoming movies were shown and it was all set for the hunt of "HOLY GRAIL" when i saw someone walking towards our side of seats in the theater. It was familiar yellow t-shirt with black stripes. It came closer and the lights came on for a second just at the right time for us to see each other-It was my UNCLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It was like a nightmare come true for me. I didn't know what to do. Whether to seem as if i didn't see him…….. Or to get out of the theater………… or to tell him to sit near me……….. Or to be guilty. But he seemed cool. He came and sat near me and said:"Hm...So this is your hostel, eh? Nice place." I was dumbstruck and didn't utter a word.Varun just stared and smiled at him. I was about to tell him something when he said "The movie has started."
I had hoped the movie to be thoroughly entertaining and it turned just the opposite couldn’t' even give my attention to a single scene. Time passed by...Now time started moving even slower than it was. I just can't imagine how i sat there for those 2 hrs there with my uncle sitting right beside me.
Finally, Finally. It all got over I got out as soon as possible ans saw varun laughing heavily with his mouth closed.Idiot.It was him and his plans. I started blaming me for listening to him. Now I wanted to somehow justify my uncle for my deeds and started running towards him. I saw him at the parking area trying to pull the scooter out.
Me:” Mama....I...I thought I will go for a movie and then catch a bus. They told the bus at 6:15 is not running and the next bus is only at 8:30.so I thought blah blah blah............."
Uncle:"See Ashwin.stop acting like MR. Bean. Even I have gone through your age and I know up to what all extent you ppl can go. Stop making wrong excuses and reasons and be straight forward. It’s the best policy in life. I hope you understood me."
"Ufff......Sorry mama. Please don't tell to my parents.” I told and ran towards varun who was waiting for me outside and while I was running I heard a feeble voice from the back. It was my uncle....
"Hey Ashwin....Are you sure you are gonna catch the bus? Or is it for the second show at 9??"
This was one of the most embarrassing situations I got into in my life. And LAGE RAHO MUNNABHAI which released later that year taught me that honesty is definitely the best policy or else you may land up in trouble. But I don’t think I have changed a little.
________________________________________________________________________
Still..........Even now I haven't learnt to be straight forward. More of those stuff later. Bye for now!!!!!!!!
Da Vinci Code is a book I enjoyed thoroughly...Leave alone all those Rumours, it’s a great work of fiction and the suspense has been maintained very well.
It was as usually a sunny day around mid-march when I suddenly woke up from my nap in front of the book hearing some song from TV. Yes...you guessed it right. Me in front of books mean its study leave and am home. My uncle had given me strict time tables and routines to be followed during those days (which I never followed), He used to say that one should study at least 8 hrs/day. He wanted me to score distinction in every semester (which I never got).So, that day too after advising me a lot, he went to office and me and ma grandmother were home.
(Readers please note that my parents are at Mumbai and I stay with my uncle and grandmother in Cochin)
I just checked what the time was. It was 10 minutes past 2 and grandma was watching her favorite Tamil serial. It was a HARTHAL (a kind of BANDH) at Kerala that day (it’s like any other day 4 us-comes once in every week!!).So Bus and other transport vehicles were not allowed to run till 6 PM in the eve. I just checked which text book was in front of me. It was ECT (Electric Circuit Theory) full of findings by Norton’s, Ohm’s and all other stuffffffie's. Life seemed horrible for me. These semester exams come twice every year and to get a pass mark in all these subjects (Totally I wrote around 59 in 4 yrs : P) was really tough for an average student like me.
It was just then that I saw grandma walking towards her bed room. It’s time for her usual nap@noon.I just was wondering when the phone bell rang.
It was Varun, One of My best friends at college time.
Varun:"Dei, What are you doing??"
Me:” As usual, wondering when I would pass all these subjects and become an engineer."
Varun: "Hmmm. I think leisure is an integral part in every one's life. What about a movie today evening?"
Me:” Nice idea da.But I don't think i will be able to come. Uncle may come home any time. If I come he will feel I am not at all giving any value to his words. So.......................................By the way, which movie are you planning to go??"
Varun:"DA VINCI CODE"
I was just silent for a minute when I heard this. I remembered seeing an ad of the movie in the newspaper the last week. Now the battle began. As for everyone, one part of my mind was saying to sit and study while the other one was saying to go for the movie. I have often wondered why I am unable to listen to the better part, but that time too it was the other part (the bad one) which won the battle and I decided that iam gonna go for the movie at any cost.
The incidents that follow have even made me feel I am a great manager. Because lots and lots of planning was done by me and a master plan was developed. It was like this-I would tell my uncle in case I see him that I am going back to hostel (After all the exams are just 3 days away. anyway I have to go back, so the earlier the better :)).After that I would go with varun to the theater, watch the movie and take the bus at 9 PM and reach my hostel. So all would be well, I will see the movie, uncle would not feel bad and I can also go back to my hostel.HA HA HAAA......I laughed in my mind...how well I have planned. False-proof it is and no 1 will ever come to know about anything.
Now I quickly went to my room and started packing up my books and dress. This was a very interesting task for me because you come to know at that time, what all books are there with you. I felt that Time moved very slowly compared to the other days. It was just 3 PM then. I went back for a small nap again (not to bet...but in front of my ECT book).It was like DUNLOP for me (AARAAM KEE NEEND APNAAYIYE)...It was around 4 when I again woke up hearing grandma murmuring something. She moved towards the kitchen and asked me the usual question "What do you want? Tea or Coffee??”And I said the same answer which I always said:” Anything which u feels easy to make”. I kept looking into the clock wondering who made an hour to be consisting of 60 minutes.30 would have been better, I thought.
It was around 4.45 when I heard footsteps outside and door bell ringing.
"Must be the servant. Go open the door"-Grandma yelled from kitchen. She was preparing some snacks for me with tea.
I was eagerly waiting for something like this from her so that I can get away from the book with very very big things and circuits. I jumped out from my place and opened the door to see none other than my UNCLE.
"So, how’s your studies going?" he asked.
"It’s. It’s fine mama”. I somehow managed.
"Did you study for 8 hours till now??"It was the next question.
"No. But I think I must have reached 6.Just 2 more naa.i will manage.” I said.
"Who??You??6 hrs??Don’t tell me. I am seeing not seeing you for the first time”. He told this and went to his room and I followed him like an obedient boy.
"By the way mama. I wanted to tell you that I am going back to my hostel today. Some of my friends are there who have better 'knowledge’ in these subjects. So they will teach me.” I somehow managed.
Uncle: "today? But today is a Harthal.No bus today. How can you go??"
Me: "That will run from 6 mama. Just 1 more hour to go. I can reach my hostel by 8, have food and start studying."
Uncle (after a deep thought):"Hmm...Okay. But I wonder if you are going to study or enjoy with friends."
Me:” What mama U won’t believe me ever? Let me pack my things."
I told this and ran back to my room to just ensure all was well. It was 5 and varun would see me at the theatre at 6 as per our plans. I had a bath and got ready and sat for tea at dining room when my uncle too came there
"Your excitement and eagerness this extent tells me there is something fishy. You are going to your Hostel only, I hope."
"Mamaaa...."I just stopped there and somehow finished with the tea and snacks.
"Okay then.mama, grandma...iam leaving. I will call once I reach there.Bye."I ran to the lift after telling this. My brain was full of confusions if a show of the movie would be there or not, If show is there will we get tickets or not and all that stuff. I walked till Maharaja's ground where varun was eagerly waiting for me. He told me that traffic is smooth now since it’s about to reach the time limit of HARTHAL.We quickly rode to SRIDHAR where the movie was being played. The queue was not that big and at last, smiles blossomed in our face when we got the two balcony tickets. I had been waiting to see this movie for long now and it was as a dream comes true.
We browsed through all the rows and found a quite comfortable place in the middle where there were not much people sitting and where we could get a view of the movie as well as the girls who are gonna come for the movie. I thought why ideas like these didn't come to my mind earlier.mm..Everything has its own time, I said in my mind.
Lights went off and trailer of upcoming movies were shown and it was all set for the hunt of "HOLY GRAIL" when i saw someone walking towards our side of seats in the theater. It was familiar yellow t-shirt with black stripes. It came closer and the lights came on for a second just at the right time for us to see each other-It was my UNCLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It was like a nightmare come true for me. I didn't know what to do. Whether to seem as if i didn't see him…….. Or to get out of the theater………… or to tell him to sit near me……….. Or to be guilty. But he seemed cool. He came and sat near me and said:"Hm...So this is your hostel, eh? Nice place." I was dumbstruck and didn't utter a word.Varun just stared and smiled at him. I was about to tell him something when he said "The movie has started."
I had hoped the movie to be thoroughly entertaining and it turned just the opposite couldn’t' even give my attention to a single scene. Time passed by...Now time started moving even slower than it was. I just can't imagine how i sat there for those 2 hrs there with my uncle sitting right beside me.
Finally, Finally. It all got over I got out as soon as possible ans saw varun laughing heavily with his mouth closed.Idiot.It was him and his plans. I started blaming me for listening to him. Now I wanted to somehow justify my uncle for my deeds and started running towards him. I saw him at the parking area trying to pull the scooter out.
Me:” Mama....I...I thought I will go for a movie and then catch a bus. They told the bus at 6:15 is not running and the next bus is only at 8:30.so I thought blah blah blah............."
Uncle:"See Ashwin.stop acting like MR. Bean. Even I have gone through your age and I know up to what all extent you ppl can go. Stop making wrong excuses and reasons and be straight forward. It’s the best policy in life. I hope you understood me."
"Ufff......Sorry mama. Please don't tell to my parents.” I told and ran towards varun who was waiting for me outside and while I was running I heard a feeble voice from the back. It was my uncle....
"Hey Ashwin....Are you sure you are gonna catch the bus? Or is it for the second show at 9??"
This was one of the most embarrassing situations I got into in my life. And LAGE RAHO MUNNABHAI which released later that year taught me that honesty is definitely the best policy or else you may land up in trouble. But I don’t think I have changed a little.
________________________________________________________________________
Still..........Even now I haven't learnt to be straight forward. More of those stuff later. Bye for now!!!!!!!!

4 comments:
Aliya, if u go on like this , there is no problem , it may lighten ur heart and fill the pages :. But, keep it published and it wont do much good. Better enter some funnier things in life bcos iam sure u are full of those.
Enough of the senti stuff..!!!
Go and do some useful wrk....
kollam
This is not a senti stuff daa...just some moments close to my heart told in a lighter way....planning to pin down all our college days soon....
Post a Comment